Activating our vibrant riverfront.
Investing in public spaces allows residents the ability to gather and build life-long connections to each other and nature. More than 5 miles of new mixed-use trails and paths will connect communities on both sides of the river. Recent improvements in our downtown area are the catalyst for this project. By "connecting the dots" created by these projects, we will be able to enjoy all that our riverfront has to offer. A series of feature nodes will be highlighted throughout the Riverwalk. Some will incorporate a play feature, others art installations, but all will encourage interaction with the community.
Phase one is underway.
A primary anchor of the Riverwalk is Glass City Metropark. Phase one construction is already underway with plans to be complete in the fall of 2020. Features include:
- A 3,500-square-foot pavilion with restrooms, a concession window and green roof
- The building will accommodate 150 people
- Rooftop plaza space
- An event lawn that will accommodate 5,000 people for special events
- A sledding hill
- Aggregate and asphalt walking paths
- Water access for fishing, canoeing/kayaking
- Shoreline restoration
- Reforestation with more than 2,000 trees as well as prairie plants
- Stormwater wetlands and bioswales
- Adventure boardwalk over water with seating
- The realignment of riverside drive
- A 70-vehicle parking lot
- A new curb cut for park access from E. Broadway Street